My care and support needs have increased, what can I do?

This guide relates to adult services and is for guidance only. If you need legal advice, please contact a legal service.

Under the Care Act, there is a requirement for local authorities to make sure that people receive services that prevent their care needs from becoming more serious, or delay the impact of their needs.

If you receive a Direct Payment you can ask for your budget to be reconsidered. You should contact your social worker to explain your situation. If you do not have a social worker, contact the Duty Officer for Adult Services in your local authority.

The local authority should then make a new care assessment and update your Care and Support Plan if it is agreed that you support needs have changed.

Watch a video on what a good Care and Support Plan should look like (Credit: Helen Sanderson Associates)

If you are not eligible for social care support through your local authority, you may be eligible for a Personal Health Budget under NHS Continuing Healthcare.