Did you know we offer free training?

At Independent Lives, we offer free Skills for Care funded training for Personal Assistants working with adults.

The subjects available are Basic First Aid, Manual Handling & Medication. Each attendee will also receive a training workbook in Safeguarding Adults and Infection Control.

All of our training dates are available to book via our website. These will be in Hampshire and other areas in West Sussex.

To find out more about the free training we offer, please click here.

To view all our free training courses, please click here.

Carers Trust Grant Fund

Carers Trust currently has a grant fund open for individual adult carers, aged 16+.

Carers can apply for grants of up to £300 for items or activities that will benefit them in their caring role, for example:

  • Breaks, with or without the person they care for
  • Items for the home including cookers, fridges, beds and washing machines
  • Driving lessons and other travel costs relating to caring roles
  • Courses and materials to develop carers' skills and personal development
  • Home repairs
  • Short-term or time-limited replacement care

For more information, please click here.

Ageing Well in West Sussex Consultation

West Sussex County Council are currently running their Age Well campaign, which is promoting healthy ageing in West Sussex, and will enable people to improve their wellbeing, remain independent and lead lives with meaning and purpose.

They have created a survey which includes questions on what West Sussex is like as a place to grow old, and asks what people currently do or might want to do to keep healthy and happy.

Your survey responses will help inform future work to support people to age well and remain living independently across West Sussex.

This survey will take around 5 minutes to complete.

To have your say in this consultation, please click here

What counts as Disability Related Expenses?

When starting out on a Direct Payment, your Local Authority will give you a financial assessment to see how much they will ask you to pay towards your care. This is called the Client Contribution.

In order to reduce the amount you have to pay for your care your Local Authority should take into account any Disability Related Expenses (DRE) you have, which they should disregard as available income, thus reducing the amount they ask you to pay.

Disability Related Expenses are any extra costs linked to any disability you have.

You should make sure that when you have your financial assessment, you have a detailed list of all the DRE you have, so your contribution is as cost saving as possible.

For more Information on Disability Related Expenditure, please visit our website by clicking here.