I am unable to leave my home as my budget does not cover the cost of a Personal Assistant (PA) to support me.

This guide relates to adult services and is for guidance only. If you need legal advice, please contact a legal service.

Under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act (1998) you have the right to a private and family life. This includes freedom of religion, freedom of expression, freedom of association and the right to respect of property. The Human Rights Act set out the right to a private life that includes the importance of personal dignity and autonomy and the public and private interactions of others.

Under Article 23 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities you have the right to ‘Respect for the family and home’.

Both mean that you have the right to be supported to be able to participate in all aspects of your social life and under the Human Rights Act (1998) this is enshrined in law.

If this support is not included in your Care and Support Plan then you can ask to be re-assessed.

What can you do to change your situation?

An Advocate may be able to help if you feel you need impartial advice and support: to understand relevant information; retain information; use or weigh up information and to communicate your views, wishes and feelings.

You have the right to an Advocate, and can request links to an advocacy service.

The advocacy duty applies from the point of first contact with the local authority and at any subsequent stage of the assessment, planning, care review, safeguarding enquiry or safeguarding adult review.

The Advocate will be able to help you make an informed choice about the care and support needs that you have, speak on your behalf, support you so that your voice is heard and ensure that your support plan is drafted properly.

Finding an advocacy service


Enhance the UK and Scope encourage wider discussions about relationships, sex, and disability.

Enhance the UK hosts an online Love Lounge where disabled people can ask questions about relationships and sex which are answered by disabled experts.

Scope has released a video and web page that covers some of the awkward questions that disabled people get about sex and relationships, and as part of the national campaign End the Awkward.

Learning Disability Today have a campaign called Supported Loving, which encourages the empowerment of people with learning disabilities to develop loving and sexual relationships.


West Sussex Safeguarding Board

The West Sussex Safeguarding Children Board is a partnership of all the different organisations working to protect children and young people across the county. This website brings together information for children, young people and their families and the professionals who work with them. Find out more.

Hampshire Safeguarding board

A multi-agency partnership providing strategic leadership for adult safeguarding across the local authority area. It has an independent chair and its remit is to agree objectives, set priorities and co-ordinate the strategic development of adult safeguarding. Find out more.

The Care Act 2014 sets out that safeguarding processes should be carried out in the following way;

“Making safeguarding personal means it should be person-led and outcome-focused. It engages the person in a conversation about how best to respond to their safeguarding situation in a way that enhances involvement, choice and control as well as improving quality of life, wellbeing and safety.”

Living safely in the community resources

Hampshire police little book of big scams